Spiritual Mathematics: Understanding the Biblical Equation about a Right Relationship with God
March 14, 2021
A Chapter a Day
- Sunday, March 14, Philippians 4
- Monday, March 15, John 1
- Tuesday, March 16, John 2
- Wednesday, March 17, John 3
- Thursday, March 18, John 4
- Friday, March 19, John 5
- Saturday, March 20, John 6
If you would like to receive a short, daily email to help you better understand and apply the chapter we are reading together each day, please sign up by texting the word Chapter to 22828.
1 Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ,
To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:
2 May grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord. (2 Peter 1:1-2, ESV)
- Every follower of Jesus is before God through in Christ.
- God his grace and peace in our lives as we in our knowledge of him.
But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen. (2 Peter 3:18, ESV)
3 His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, 4 by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire.
(2 Peter 1:3-4, ESV)
- God’s is the and the in our relationship with him.
5 For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, 6 and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, 7 and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. 8 For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For whoever lacks these qualities is so nearsighted that he is blind, having forgotten that he was cleansed from his former sins. (2 Peter 1:5-9, ESV)
- God intends for us to qualities and traits to our lives that are consistent with the new life we have been given through faith in Christ.
1) Virtue – “moral excellence” (NLT, NASB95); “good character” (MSG)
2) Knowledge – “spiritual understanding” (MSG); “moral wisdom” (ESL)
3) Self-control – “one who masters his desires and passions, esp. his sensual appetites” (ESL); “the controlling power of the will under the operation of the Spirit of God” (VED)
4) Steadfastness – “perseverance” (NIV84, NASB95); “patient endurance” (NLT); literally “a remaining under” (VED)
5) Godliness – “appropriate beliefs and devout practice” (GEL); “reverence, respect, piety towards God” (ESL); “that piety which, characterized by a Godward attitude, does that which is well-pleasing to him” (VED)
6) Brotherly affection –, philadelphia; “brotherly kindness” (NIV84, NASB950; “warm friendliness” (MSG); “love for one’s fellow believer” (GEL); “the love which Christians cherish for each other” (ESL)
7) Love – , agape; “to have love for someone or something, based on sincere appreciation and high regard” (GEL); “generous love” (MSG); self-giving, self-sacrificing love (cf. John 3:16; 1 John 4:7-11)
10 Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to confirm your calling and election, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall. 11 For in this way there will be richly provided for you an entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. (2 Peter 1:10-11, ESV)
- The of our “election” is our “calling,” and the evidence of our “calling” is our repentance, faith, and transformed life.
12 Therefore I intend always to remind you of these qualities, though you know them and are established in the truth that you have. 13 I think it right, as long as I am in this body, to stir you up by way of reminder, 14 since I know that the putting off of my body will be soon, as our Lord Jesus Christ made clear to me. 15 And I will make every effort so that after my departure you may be able at any time to recall these things. (2 Peter 1:12-15, ESV)
- We all need — both to learn do math correctly and to walk faithfully as followers of the Lord Jesus Christ.