A Spirt-Led Witness – Message #3 in the Series Witness: Speaking The Gospel, Making Disciples, And Planting Churches – All For The Glory Of God!
March 5, 2023
A Chapter a Day
- Sunday, March 5, Acts 22
- Monday, March 6, Acts 23
- Tuesday, March 7, Acts 24
- Wednesday, March 8 , Acts 25
- Thursday, March 9 , Acts 26
- Friday, March 10 , Acts 27
- Saturday, March 11 , Acts 28
If you would like to receive a short, daily email to help you better understand and apply the chapter we are reading together each day, please sign up by texting the word Chapter to 22828.
“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
– Jesus (Acts 1:8, ESV)
- Sunday, February 19 The First Witness
- Sunday, February 26 A Courageous Witness
- Sunday, March 5 A Spirit-Led Witness
- Sunday, March 12 A Reluctant Witness
- Sunday, March 19 A Barrier-Breaking Witness
- Sunday, March 26 A Church-Oriented Witness
- Palm Sunday, April 2 A Cross-Centered Witness
Goals of the series:
- That every follower of Christ at Ingleside will become a better-equipped and more-active verbal witness for Jesus.
- That every Inglesider will invite someone who is not yet a follower of Jesus to our Easter weekend outreach on April 8-9.
Acts 8 (ESV)
8And Saul approved of his execution.
And there arose on that day a great persecution against the church in Jerusalem, and they were all scattered throughout the regions of Judea and Samaria, except the apostles. 2 Devout men buried Stephen and made great lamentation over him. 3 But Saul was ravaging the church, and entering house after house, he dragged off men and women and committed them to prison.
4 Now those who were scattered went about preaching [euangelizo] the word. 5 Philip went down to the city of Samaria and proclaimed [kerusso] to them the Christ. 6 And the crowds with one accord paid attention to what was being said [lego] by Philip, when they heard him and saw the signs that he did. 7 For unclean spirits, crying out with a loud voice, came out of many who had them, and many who were paralyzed or lame were healed. 8 So there was much joy in that city. . . .
12 But when they believed Philip as he preached good news [euangelizo] about the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
1. God often uses something to bring about something in the accomplishment of his larger purposes.
2. God sometimes transforms those most opposed to the gospel into bold for Jesus and the gospel.
3. Sometimes our witness will be to the (mass evangelism).
26 Now an angel of the Lord said to Philip, “Rise and go toward the south to the road that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.” This is a desert place. 27 And he rose and went. And there was an Ethiopian, a eunuch, a court official of Candace, queen of the Ethiopians, who was in charge of all her treasure. He had come to Jerusalem to worship 28 and was returning, seated in his chariot, and he was reading the prophet Isaiah. 29And the Spirit said to Philip, “Go over and join this chariot.” 30 So Philip ran to him and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet and asked, “Do you understand what you are reading?” 31 And he said, “How can I, unless someone guides me?” And he invited Philip to come up and sit with him. 32 Now the passage of the Scripture that he was reading was this:
“Like a sheep he was led to the slaughter
and like a lamb before its shearer is silent,
so he opens not his mouth.
33 In his humiliation justice was denied him.
Who can describe his generation?
For his life is taken away from the earth.”
34 And the eunuch said to Philip, “About whom, I ask you, does the prophet say this, about himself or about someone else?” 35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning with this Scripture he told him the good news [euangelizo] about Jesus.
4. Sometimes our witness will be to at a time (personal evangelism).
5. Our personal witness will be most effective when . . .
(1) We follow the prompting of God’s .
(2) We begin with good .
(3) It includes .
(4) It focuses on the person and work of .
(5) It calls for a response of repentance, faith, and .
36 And as they were going along the road they came to some water, and the eunuch said, “See, here is water! What prevents me from being baptized?” 38 And he commanded the chariot to stop, and they both went down into the water, Philip and the eunuch, and he baptized him. 39 And when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord carried Philip away, and the eunuch saw him no more, and went on his way rejoicing. 40 But Philip found himself at Azotus, and as he passed through he preached the gospel [euangelizo] to all the towns until he came to Caesarea.
6. Those who respond to our witness by trusting and following Jesus will experience great .
The Romans Road to Salvation (ESV)
- Romans 3:23: “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,”
- Romans 6:23a: “For the wages of sin is death,”
- Romans 5:8: “but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”
- Romans 6:23b: “but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
- Romans 10:9: “if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.”
- Romans 10:13: “For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
- Romans 5:1: “Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.”
- Romans 8:1: “There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.”
- Romans 8:38-39: “For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
Featured Resource: The Gospel and Personal Evangelism, Mark Dever.
Memory Verse: “but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us” (Romans 5:8, ESV).
Tell me about your witness: [email protected]